Thursday, September 6, 2007

What about my identity?

What happens when I have more than one product to market, then what?

You should always be able to market and brand yourself no matter if you are selling 1 item or dozens. But how you ask? First things first, you have to look at are the 3 questions.
1. Who are you?
2. What do you do?
3. Why is that important?
There is a commonality in these questions no matter what you are selling. What is that you ask? That's easy, it's you! No matter what you are trying to sell, you are your own commonality. You made it, designed it, created it whatever you did in the process you did it. So what you need to do now is think to yourself what ties it back to me.

Let me show you what I mean. Take a look at my store http://tpdesign.etsy.com. I have created several different things note cards, mirrors, floral arrangements, paintings, etc. But if you take a closer look the commonality is they all have some handmade detail to them. The note cards have paintings on them, inked details or hand lettering. The mirrors are also hand lettered. So on and so forth. So in my case I have decieded that my description for my store is "Home Decor and other handmade items". My reasoning comes from the second factor that you nedd to look at when decieding who to brand yourself. What do my customers think about me?

Your customers make up a great deal of your business, in fact they are your business. So why do they come to you? What is it about your items that they love? What do they purchase the most of? In my case I have been told that my home decor is simple and elegant and the handmade elements make them stand out over other pieces that are similar. My best sellers are the "Faith, Hope and Love Mirrors (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6471021). So because of that I decieded that Home Decor should be known first and then handmade elements.

A strong brand is invaluable. Don't be afraid to talk with your customers, see what brings them back to you. Your branding is the foundational piece in your marketing stratigy and something not to be taken lightly. Of course all this said, it won't happen over night either. It's important to spend time researching, defining and building your brand. Talk with others get their opinion. Ask them what they think your commonality is, you may be surprised by the answers. If you are ...well that's for another post.

1 comment:

Donna Pool said...

I think I'll definitely need to take my time with this one! Thanks...you've given me a lot to think about!