Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Marketing Family

So let's recap. We have answered the 3 questions, we have taken words that describe our products, services, us, whatever and made mindmaps or word lists out of them. From those lists we have picked the most intreging words (the "key" words) and we are going to use them to create our brand.

Here are some examples of words that could have been choosen. From Handmade I got, out of the box, drawn, sketch, worn, built-up, pattern...and so on. These words are what got me here.

tpdesign

Now I went through several versions before I got here, but the general idea is here and was at the begining. Now on a side note, not all the words need to be used at the same time. Something to keep in mind and not to get frustrated if you can't make them play nice together...

Now this look is carried over from my banner, to my businesses cards, my invoices and if I do any advertising it will be there too. Not all of the pieces need to match exactly either, they just need to seem like they are from the same family. Think of all your marketing tools as brothers and sisters of each other and kids of your products or company; they won't look exactly like but have some of the same features.

Best thing to do when looking to brand yourself is to look at your compeitors. What are they doing? How do they brand yourself? Look outside your field and see what grabs your attention. Use bits and pieces glued together to make yourself, afterall as an artist you should be inspired by the world around you for your ideas, why should your branding be any different.

Now I realize that we do not all have the gift to create a logo or a business card, so look to those who do, ask them questions. If you don't have the means to pay them for their services do a trade if they are willing. Maybe you have the means to create something but not sure about your ability to do so, again ask for help from those around you - get opinions about what you have created and don't just go to those few trusted friends, unless you know they will tell you the truth. EX: I love my dad to death, but if it comes to asking him for some feedback on what I have created, I would usually get "it's nice dear" or "you are so talented" (this is my personal favorite) My mom on the other hand will tell me like it is, I may not agree but I can respect her view of it and I must keep in mind if she sees something wrong someone else will too!

Once you have created what you think will work for your look you will need a slogon. Now your slogon needs to be something consise and to the point. It takes everything that you have decieded describes you and your business and puts into a nice little package. Good examples...

Nike - Just do it
Geico - so easy a caveman could do it
at&t - more bars in more places

you get the idea. They can be funny or they can be clear cut. Remember Picky and the Brain from last time, this is where we revisit them and their thinking. Do you want something that is clear and to the point "Just do it" or do you want something that makes them laugh "so easy a caveman can do it" (this may not make you laugh anymore, it's a little over done for my taste, but you get the point) or lastly something that makes them think "more bars in more places".

None of these are the wrong answer just make sure that the fit the rest of the family. If you ever have any questions or if you would like some more help on the design aspects please contact me.

Our next topic will be "Marketing: out of the box ideas"

2 comments:

Donna Pool said...

I love this course you're teaching...I needed it! Thanks!

Flo said...

Thanks for the tips! Someday I'll get around to using them.

You've been tagged- visit my blog http://Wrapsberry.blogspot.com to find out why!