Monday, May 5, 2008

Art Going Green

So I never really considered myself to be an artist that recycles, just one that uses what's around me (aka resourceful). But after doing several shows lately that were about keeping the environment clean (Earth Day Inspired), it dawned on me that I am helping keep "trash" out of the landfills. And all this time I just thought I was being thrifty!

To give you some ideas on how to keep your environment clean, take a look at what's around you and see what you can give new life.

Lately I have been using cabinet doors, yes cabinet doors. They make a great canvas for paintings and mixed media pieces. A little sanding and priming and wala! A new canvas, and you don't even need to frame the piece, most cabinet doors have great trim giving your new work of art a unique look.

I have also found that old skeleton keys make some great crosses. And come with a second meaning. Jesus and the cross are the "key" to salvation and peace. What a wonderful way to display your Faith!



The one above was created using a cabinet door, scraps of scrapbook paper, skeleton keys and acrylic paint.

And it's not just my finished products that are "re"using materials, I even do it when I am painting to get some unique textures. I have used, old seran wrap, netting, fencing, popcicle sticks, disguarded wood pieces...pretty much what ever is sitting in front of me at the time is fair game.

So what are you doing to keep you environment GREEN?

No comments: